Ryan Dent is one of the most influential DJ’s, producers and songwriters in South Africa. Having been in the scene for 16years he is the DJ that has taking our local beats to an international level.
Earlier in his career he won numerous awards (2001: SA City Life DJ & UDMA Deep House DJ & Overall Best DJ, SL Magazine DJ of 2001, SA City Life DJ of 2000, Epic Magazine DJ of 1999), with this came the unqualified respect of his peers, and adulation on any dance floor. Proof that Ryan is a DJ to be reckoned with!
As a producer and A&R on his own South African label, Platform Records, he forced the international dance scene to sit up and take notice of his unique Cape Town sound. His production success with “Haya” reaching No. 10 on 5FM Top40 is the tip of the iceberg, with vinyl releases on Dutch label Extrema, “Purple Ohm”, “Need It” & “FunkDust” through the world famous ‘Belgium StartStop Records’.
Ryan started mixing in early 1994 on inventive set-ups using twin amps and an array of music. Ryan has owned his own nightclub “Club Soda” and has released close to half a dozen albums. He has been nominated for various South African music awards and played live to over 15,000 people.
Ryan has been priveledged to open for Carl Cox, Deep Dish (Pharcyde), Fat Boy Slim, David Guetta, Basement Jaxx, Paul Oakenfold, Rafael Noronha, Emerson Todd, Dinky & has been resident at every house club in the Cape Town and Johannesburg.
Commonly known as ‘The Dentist”, his raw energy & talent has taken him to Europe every year since 2001 to play alongside house legends Gene Farris, Derrick Carter & Tom Middleton from London to Paris to Amsterdam to Barcelona to Eindhoven!
When he is not dj’ing he is performing with his extremely successful dance meets rock band, Flash Republic.
2002 – 2003 saw Ryan producing the album “Platform Music” in SA and touring only to his regular gigs in the Netherlands allowing his promising career to mature as his gigs got bigger and his beats got chunkier.
2004 – 2005 Ryan performed all over Europe and Asia proving that his unique fat chunky basslines and killer loops have given him the global appreciation he deserves playing alongside and respected by the likes of none other than Tiesto, Erick Morillo, Tom Novy and Timo Maas.
2006 Ryan toured Australia, Asia and Europe. As well as playing with Fatboy Slim and Martin Solvieg in his hometown, headlining the PULSE RADIO Float at the BERLIN LOVE PARADE and rocking the Shoreditch circuit in London have so far continued to put this DJ at the forefront of peoples minds
Since 2006, Ryan has invested most of his time being an instrumental part in his band with singer/songwriter Tamara Dey and Craig Massiv. Their chart topping band is called Flash Republic. They have delivered 3 albums and a rack of singles (including last year’s monster hit ‘Twister’ and this year’s hits “Lonely’ & “In the Name of Dance”). Flash Republic have the respect of some of the dance world’s biggest-name remixes; among them Seamus Haji, StoneBridge, Thomas Gold, Prok & Fitch, Fonzerelli, Bellatrax and Henry John Morgan.
Given complete creative control to exhibit his full stratospheric dexterity on his decks, there is no telling where this sonic production alchemist might take you?
Open wide! This dentist operates on your soul!
• 2001: SA City Life DJ: UDMA (Underground Dance Music Awards) Deep House DJ & Overall Best DJ: SL Magazine DJ of 2000 & 2001: SA City Life DJ of 1999 & 2000: Epic Magazine DJ of 1999.
• 2009: Nominated best DJ of the year (Mzanzi): nominated for Flash Republic at the SAMA’s (twister) and also nominated for “Spotlight” as remix for 1st Project 7 Ryan Dent feat. Candice Lee.
• 2010: MKTV Nominated Flash Republic’s album Danger for the Best Neon award.
• 2011: MKTV Nominated Flash Republic’s album Danger for Best Neon award and for Best Collaboration for “Foto na Dans”.
• 2006: Inception of Flash Republic: toured Holland with the band: Sponsored by UDG
• 2005: Perform with Tiesto, Morillo, Tom Novy
• 2004: Form Flash Republic with Tamara Dey & Craig Massiv
• 2002: Form Platform Records
• 2001: “Haya” reaches No. 10 on 5FM Top40.
• 2001: “Deeper Sound of Ryan Dent” mix CD released on USM2000: Opening live set for Carl Cox at Synergy 15,000 people (Cape Town)
• 2000: First Live gigs
• 1998: Start producing; open Club Soda
• 1996: Turn professional
• 1994: Start mixing
Residencies: Global Breakthrough, G-Spot, Function, XS, Club Soda, Beat Boutique, More, Sutra (Cape Town & JHB), Sudada, Sushi Sunday
• 2010: tour of Ireland and United kingdom:
• 2009: Malawi, London, Sydney, Melbourne:
• 2006: Australia, Singapore, Thailand, Holland, Germany, Hong Kong, UK
• 2005: Seychelles, Thailand, Holland, Germany, UK, Austria, Belgium, Spain, France
• 2003/4: Tour of Holland 4 gigs Extrema Festival, Stalker. Spain, France
• 2002: EXTREMA “Forward” Eindhoven, Netherlands (Played to crowd of 30, 000 before house legend Gene Farris)
• 2002: Club Stalker: Haarlem, Netherlands
• 2002: Glasshouse, U4Ria & The Spot: London
• 2001: Flokati: Munich
• 2001: la Fabric: Paris
2010: Flash Republic – “Killer Moves” album
2009: Flash Republic – “Danger” album
2009: “Platform music – DJ mix compilation
2008: “A Night out with the Dentist” – DJ mix compilation
2006: Flash Republic – “time is now” album released
2006: “Emergency EP” released on Dutch label Extrema (014)
2005: Flash Republic “Time is Now” album released through Gresham.
2004: Platform Music Compilation CD.
2003: “Purple Ohm” feat Warren Morris released on Dutch label Extrema
remixed by Mathew Dekay & Bart van Wissen (Extrema 005).
2003: “FunkDust” released on Belgium label StartStop Records.
2002: “Need It” released on Belgium label StartStop Records.
2002: “Haya” features on EMI / BMG release Home Grown (CDEMCJ (WR) 5982.
2002: “BeatsBrothersBetties” EP released on Platform Records (PLATCD001).
2001: “Haya” reaches No. 10 on 5FM Top40
2001: “Deeper Sound of Ryan Dent” mix CD released on USM (CDUSM 1328)